Drive sales on autopilot with ecommerce-focused featuresSee Features
Ecommerce Email Marketing Statistics 2018 [Infographic]
Omnisend is excited to present our brand-new infographic on our Ecommerce Email Marketing Statistics for 2018.
We analyzed data from over 128,000 email campaigns and automated emails sent by 7,200 brands (more than 964 million emails in total) using Omnisend’s ecommerce marketing automation platform.
7 takeaways from Omnisend’s ecommerce email marketing statistics:
- While cart abandonment emails still perform the best during Black Friday with a 1.65% order rate, that’s a decrease of 31% compared to the rest of the year
- Winback (or customer reactivation) orders increased 106% during Black Friday, compared to the rest of the year
- List-building is important, but it’s better to use a variety of signup forms. Landing pages and the Wheel of Fortune have the best conversion rates (23% and 10% respectively).
- Don’t be scared to ask for information: if you want higher conversion rates (10% on average), ask for up to 3 pieces of information on your signup forms.
- November has the most campaigns sent, but February has the best open rates (17.9%) and June the best click rates (3.6%).
- For automation, order confirmation has the highest open (64.4%) and click rates (18.1%), but cart recovery has the best order rate (2.4%).
- In general, automation workflows have up to 309% higher opens and 455% better click rates than bulk newsletter campaigns.
Looking for our past ecommmerce email marketing infographic:
- Ecommerce Email Marketing Statistics for 2017 [Infographic]
- Ecommerce Email Marketing Statistics for 2016 [Infographic]
In order to get in-depth information on when and how often to send your email campaigns, what signup form performs the best, and how much better automation is for marketing campaigns, check out our ecommerce infographic below:
(Click here for a higher-resolution version of the infographic.)
How did you get the average segmentation data?
In order to understand how Omnisend clients’ segmentation results compare to other ecommerce marketers, we used data from other email marketing tools.
Here, we specifically used Klaviyo’s Email Segmentation Benchmark Report, which showed the following (with some approximations based on the graph):
- segmented emails showed an open rate range of 14-16.17%
- segmented emails showed a click rate of 1-1.99%
- segmented emails showed a revenue rate of $0.10-$0.19
Omnisend’s data, on the other hand, showed that segmented emails have:
- an open rate range of 16.5%
- a click rate of 3.23%
- an average revenue rate of $0.24
How does Black Friday compare to the rest of the year?
When looking at automated emails for the Black Friday sales period for 2017, we can see some interesting results:
- there were 3x more cart abandonment emails sent than winback (customer reactivation) emails
- cart abandonment emails had the best order rate for Black Friday (1.65%), but that’s a 31% drop compared to the rest of the year
- winback emails earned marketers 106% more orders compared to the rest of the year, with a 1.3% order rate
- November’s open rates were among the lowest of the year, but the click rate was good
In general, we can summarize that it’s important for ecommerce marketers to diversify their workflows.
Instead of only focusing on cart abandonment Black Friday emails, it’s also good to employ other avenues, such as winback (customer reactivation) campaigns and welcome automated emails, which also had a good order rate of 1.15% for the Black Friday period.
How do manual campaigns compare to automated emails?
The average open rate for manual newsletter campaigns without segmentation is 15.73%, and the average open rate is 3.26%.
Let’s look at how average open rates for various automation workflows compare:
- order confirmation: with a 64.4% open rate and 18.1% click rate, order confirmation has 309% more opens and 455% higher click rates.
- welcome: with a 42.2% open rate and 10.5% click rate, welcome automation has 168% more opens and 222% higher click rates.
- cart recovery: with a 40.1% open rate and 9% click rate, cart recovery automation has 154% more opens and 176% higher click rates.
- order follow-up: with a 59.1% open rate and 9.1% click rate, the order follow-up email has 275% more opens and 179% higher click rates.
- customer reactivation: with a 40.8% open rate and 7.8% click rate, customer reactivation automation has 159% more opens and 139% higher click rates.
Get your free copy of 120+ Email Marketing Resources
How does Omnisend get this kind of information?
Due to Omnisend’s tool functionality and integration with Shopify, Bigcommerce and other ecommerce platforms, we have the capability to monitor and provide data not only on our clients’ email marketing activities but also their financial performance.
That way, we can figure out which emails convert better and when, what revenue they bring, what the difference in revenue of automated email workflows is, and so much more.
Omnisend clients can see a lot of this data for themselves in their own reports.
What companies are included in these email marketing statistics?
As we mentioned above, this infographic is based on research conducted on our customer data – 7,200+ active online stores in 130 countries – from January 1 to December 31, 2017.
The majority of our clients are based in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and India. These stores mainly sell apparel, accessories, books and small electronic devices.
Where can I get in-depth analysis from this research?
While the infographic above covers a good amount of data, it displays only the main metrics and overview of our results.
Many of the separate topics, with much more in-depth information, can be found in separate marketing blog posts.
In these, we focus on a specific topic and not only present the results from our data, but also how it can and should affect your next email marketing campaigns.
Our series on Omnisend’s Ecommerce Email Marketing Statistics for 2018 continues with:
- The Best Signup Forms for High Conversions (Omnisend Research 2018)
- The Best Time to Send Emails (Omnisend Research 2018)
- The Best Email Frequency for Small Business Marketing (Omnisend Research 2018)
If you have any questions or comments about our new email statistics for 2018, let us know in the comments below!
Omnisend has everything you need to succeed.Start free now No Credit Card needed.