Drive sales on autopilot with ecommerce-focused featuresSee Features
The Lunar New Year, also known as Chinese New Year or Spring Festival, is one of the most significant holidays in East Asian cultures.
This year, the Lunar New Year falls on February 10, 2024. It is celebrated in:
- South Korea
- The Philippines
This holiday marks the start of a new year and is an important time for family gatherings, traditional customs, and exchanging good wishes for the upcoming year.
Because of its many positive connotations, it’s also a great time for ecommerce campaigns. In fact, the Lunar New Year presents an opportunity to connect with customers and boost sales by incorporating cultural themes and symbols into their marketing campaigns.
It makes most sense to send out Lunar New Year campaigns if a sizable part of your audience is either located in East Asia or have ties to East Asia. However, it’s best to understand what culture your audience is in. There are lots of similarities and overlaps, but there are also differences.
In this article, we’ll show you some engaging Lunar New Year subject lines that you can use for inspiration or copy entirely.
What are the most common themes during the Lunar New Year?
The Lunar New Year has several cultural themes that are often celebrated. You can use these to figure out which products to promote, or to help inspire your Chinese New Year subject lines.
Some of the most popular include:
- Family reunion: The Lunar New Year is considered the most important holiday for family gatherings. Many people will travel long distances to be with their loved ones for the holiday.
- New Year’s Eve dinner: On New Year’s Eve, families will have a big feast together to celebrate the end of the old year and the beginning of the new one. This year, Lunar New Year’s Eve falls on February 9.
- Red decorations: Red is considered a lucky color in Chinese culture and is often used to decorate homes, businesses, and streets during the Lunar New Year.
- Fireworks: Fireworks are a popular way to celebrate the Lunar New Year. They are believed to scare away evil spirits and bring good luck. You can pepper in fireworks emojis in your Lunar New Year subject lines.
- Giving red envelopes: It is traditional to give red envelopes filled with money to children and unmarried adults as a sign of good luck.
- Cleaning and spring cleaning: It is a traditional practice to do a deep cleaning of the home before the Lunar New year starts, so that you can sweep away any bad luck from the previous year and make way for good luck in the new year
- Lion and dragon dance: The lion and dragon dance is a traditional Chinese performance that you can often see during the Lunar New Year. In the dance, skilled performers control a large lion or dragon puppet, and it’s believed to bring good luck and drive away evil spirits.
- Food: It is traditional to eat specific foods that have symbolic meanings during the Lunar New year, such as dumplings, fish, and niangao (sticky rice cake).
General Lunar New Year subject lines
- Ring in the Lunar New Year with our exclusive deals!
- Celebrate the Year of the Dragon with our special offers!
- New year, new deals, new you: 15% off Lunar New Year sale
- The Lunar New Year sale you can’t miss
- Lunar New Year specials: limited time offers
- Good luck and great sales in the Year of the Dragon
- Celebrate the Lunar New Year with our store and save big!
- Lunar New Year savings that’ll take you to the moon
- Wishing You Health, Happiness, Prosperity & Envy
- NEW: Lunar New Year Subscription Now 25% Off
Lunar New Year subject lines with emojis
- 🐉 The Year of the Dragon — and the year you save big!
- 🐲💰 Prosperity and good fortune in the Year of the Dragon
- 🐉🛒 New year, new deals: Happy Lunar New Year from our store🧧
- Gung hay fat choy! 🐉🎁 Celebrate the Lunar New Year with us
- 🐉 The Lunar New Year sale you can’t miss🎆
- 🧧🐲 Red envelopes and red deals for the Lunar New Year
- 🎁🐉 Celebrate the Lunar New Year with style!
- 🐲 Happy Lunar New Year from our store!🧧
- 🕛 Three Hours Left: The Lunar New Year Sale
- Happy Lunar New Year! 🧧 Celebrate with savings
Lunar New Year subject lines for clothing stores
- Step into the new year with 15% off all shoes
- Lunar New Year fashion deals: up to 25% off
- Red envelopes, gold deals: Save on these jeans for Lunar New Year
- Prosperous style: Lunar New Year discounts on all shoes
- Celebrate the Year of the Dragon with 15% off everything
- Good fortune and great fashion during Lunar New Year
- New Year, new wardrobe: Lunar New Year sale on clothing
- Happy Lunar New Year from our fashion store: discounts up to 25% off
- Lunar New Year wardrobe refresh: discounts up to 25%
- Lunar New Year footwear fiesta: Sale ends soon!
Red and gold themed Lunar New Year subject lines
- Fly Dragon Fly! Red and Gold deals coming your way
- Golden jeans for a golden year: Lunar New Year sale
- Red hot deals for a red hot Year of the Dragon
- Gold or red? Why not both? Lunar New Year deals
- The red and gold standard for Lunar New Year jeans
- Celebrate Chinese New Year with these red-hot deals!
- Red and gold ties for a stylish New Year
Lunar New Year subject lines with a dragon theme
You can also replace these with “cat,” where appropriate.
- Fly into savings: 15% off all beauty products for the Year of the Dragon!
- Year of the Dragon, year of great fashion deals
- Roar like a dragon with these Lunar New Year savings
- Flyon over to our beauty sale: 15% off for Lunar New Year
- Soar your way to beautiful skin: free shipping over $75
- Soar high to a new beauty routine: 15% off
- Fly into the Year of the Dragon with discounted products
- Lunar New Year beauty sale: 15% off with code DRAGON24
The Lunar New Year is an excellent and underutilized chance for ecommerce stores to get more sales by offering special deals and promotions to their customers.
With funny, engaging and exciting subject lines, you might be able to pique your customers’ interest.
As always, understand your audience well. A great way to do this is by segmenting them into various behaviors or locations so that you can send targeted messages.
The top Lunar New Year subject lines for ecommerce stores we discussed in this article can be the spark to light your imagination, or you can take them whole for your own email marketing campaigns.
By incorporating traditional Lunar New Year themes and symbols, such as red envelopes and the dragon, into your marketing campaigns and being culturally sensitive, you can create effective subject lines and messaging that will resonate with your customers.
Happy Lunar New Year!
No fluff, no spam, no corporate filler. Just a friendly letter, twice a month.