Drive sales on autopilot with ecommerce-focused featuresSee Features
Many people fear that adding WordPress email subscription plugin to their site is a complicated affair. They worry about the technical aspects, design, cost, and maintenance of such a feature.
The truth is, adding an email subscription plugin to your WordPress site is a simple and affordable way to grow your audience. It also helps you engage your visitors and increase conversions.
With a WordPress email subscription plugin, you can easily create and manage beautiful signup forms, newsletters, and campaigns that suit your brand and your goals.
This article unveils 10 of the best email subscription plugins for WordPress. Beginner or expert, these plugins will ease the process of building your mailing list.
Let’s dig in.
How to create a subscription form in WordPress
Adding an email subscription form to your WordPress site is easy with the right plugin.
It’s also necessary if you’d like to build a loyal readership and grow your online presence.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Choose the right WordPress email subscription plugin. Look for a plugin that’s user-friendly and offers the features you need. We’ve discussed a few great options, like Omnisend, further down this article.
- Install and activate the plugin. Install the chosen plugin on your WordPress site. Navigate to your WordPress dashboard, select “Plugins,” and click “Add New.” Upload or search for the chosen plugin, then install and activate it.
- Configure plugin settings. Access the plugin’s form builder and configure its settings according to your preferences. Most plugins provide pre-made templates to make this fast. Customize the form fields, layout, and confirmation or call-to-action (CTA) message.
- Embed the form on your site. Generate the subscription form and use the provided shortcode or widget to embed it.
- Test, preview, and save. Preview the page or post to ensure the subscription form appears as expected. Fix any display issues on mobile and confirm the signup process works as intended. Save the changes when you’re satisfied with the form’s placement.
Once your subscription form is ready, ensure you promote it throughout your website and in your content. This will help maximize your subscription rate. You can also consider creating dedicated landing pages to encourage more signups.
What features should a WordPress email subscription plugin have?
When choosing a WordPress (WP) email subscription plugin, consider the features it offers to ensure it aligns with your goals and needs.
Remember, email subscription plugins for WordPress aren’t all created equal. Here are some key features you should look for:
- Easy to use: The plugin should be simple to set up and manage, even for beginners. Go for those with a user-friendly interface.
- Customization: Check for options to customize emails and signup forms. Their appearance and content should match your website’s branding and design.
- Integration: Seamless integration with your email marketing provider and other tools saves time. You won’t have to export and import subscriber lists.
- Features: Ensure your WordPress email subscription plugin has all the essential features. These include signup forms, confirmation emails, and list management.
- Double opt-in: This feature requires subscribers to confirm their email addresses. By adding this extra step, opt-in emails prevent spam signups and enhance consent.
- Email automation: Automation allows sending targeted emails based on subscriber actions or triggers. These include welcome emails and re-engagement flows.
- Analytics: This feature provides valuable insights into your email subscription list’s performance. Track subscriber growth, engagement stats, conversions, and more.
- Responsive design: Ensures subscription forms are mobile-friendly to capture subscribers from various devices.
- A/B testing: Lets you test different versions of your subscription forms to determine the most effective ones.
- Exit-intent popups: Appear when users are about to leave your site, providing a last chance to capture their email address.
- Conditional logic: Allows you to show or hide specific fields in your subscription forms based on user behavior or choices.
TOP 10 WordPress email subscription plugins in 2023
You need the right WordPress email subscription plugins to effectively implement email subscriptions on your site. But with hundreds of plugins available, how do you choose?
We’ve done the research and settled on the top 10 effective and easy-to-use WordPress email subscription plugins.
Whether you need robust email marketing or list management features, there’s a plugin here to fit your needs.
These plugins make it simple to create signup forms, manage subscribers, and integrate with top providers to grow your mailing list.
As you’ll see, with the right WordPress email subscription plugin, you can start building your email list from scratch in no time. Let’s dive in.
Watch the video below for all the exciting new features and quality-of-life updates you’ll find in the new Form Builder:
Omnisend is one of the top email marketing and automation platforms. When it comes to WordPress email subscription plugins, Omnisend also stands out.
It offers an excellent WordPress email subscription plugin that helps you grow your email list and boost your conversions.
With Omnisend, you can create beautiful and responsive signup forms that match your brand and website design. You can also customize the form fields, triggers, and display options to suit your needs.
There are various use cases for Omnisend’s signup forms. These include promotions, gamification, and exit-intent popups.
- Drag and drop form builder to easily create custom signup forms
- Powerful automation workflows that create seamless multi-channel experiences
- Numerous form templates and newsletter signup examples to choose from
- Dynamic content to personalize campaigns
- Mobile responsive forms out of the box
- Create customer segments and targeted campaigns
- Double opt-in feature to enhance quality of leads
- Syncs subscriber data with your Omnisend account
- Leverage email automation based on subscriber behaviors
- Built-in analytics and dashboards for in-depth ecommerce reporting
- Compliant with data privacy (including GDPR and CCPA) regulations
- Includes multi-step signup forms to enhance user engagement and conversion rates
- Integrates with WooCommerce and other plugins including ads, reviews, and subscription ones
- Free (Email): Up to 500 emails/month
- Standard (Email): Starts at $16/month
- Pro (Email + SMS): Starts at $59/month
How to add Omnisend email subscription plugin to your WordPress site
Ready to build your subscriber list on your WordPress site with Omnisend? Here is how to set up your WordPress email subscription plugin:
- Sign up for Omnisend. If you haven’t already, create an account on Omnisend’s website. You can start with a free plan or choose a paid plan for more email sends.
- Proceed with front-end integration. In Omnisend, head over to the Dashboard. Alternatively, access the “Connect your store” page through the drop-down menu at the top right.
- Select your store. Choose your ecommerce platform. If your store isn’t listed, select “Other” as your store platform and enter your store’s URL.
- Copy the snippet code. On the next page, you’ll get the snippet to add to your store code. You’ll need to paste it into the HTML source code of your website right before the closing </body> tags.
- Add the snippet to your online store. You must insert the snippet code into every page of your store. You can use a WordPress plugin like Code Snippets to help you inject codes as needed.
- Install code snippets. Go to your WordPress admin dashboards. Access the Plugins page, and search for “Code Snippets.” Install and activate it.
- Replace <YOUR_BRAND_ID> with your Omnisend Brand ID. Confirm your Omnisend Brand ID reflects in the pasted snippet.
- Run the snippet. Select the option to “Run snippet everywhere” to render it on all pages. Rename the snippet and save your changes.
- Verify. Return to the Omnisend store connection page and click on “Verify.” You’ve successfully completed the front-end integration.
For detailed instructions and illustrations, please refer to this Omnisend for WordPress setup guide.
OptinMonster is a popular email subscription plugin for WordPress. It helps website owners grow their email list, increase sales, and improve their business.
OptinMonster does this by facilitating the creation of beautiful popups and email subscription forms. Other types of interactive popups include sticky announcement bars and gamified spin-a-wheel opt-in forms. Mobile popups and targeted offers are also available.
However, OptinMonster’s free account is quite limited. You only get 3 campaigns and a maximum of 500 campaign impressions before you must upgrade. Let’s check out OptinMonster’s main features and pricing.
- Multiple form types, e.g., lightbox, slide-in, floating bar, inline, etc.
- Smart targeting and segmentation options
- A/B split testing and analytics
- Drag & drop form builder with dynamic elements like countdown timers
- Hundreds of pre-built popup templates
- Exit-intent popups and onsite retargeting
- Email marketing and CRM integrations
- Behavior-based personalization and geolocation targeting for popups
- Free: 500 campaign impressions total
- Basic: $19/month
- Plus: $39/month
- Pro: $79/month
- Growth: $119/month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Yet another of the best email list-building plugins available is Thrive Leads.
This email subscription plugin for WordPress supports all the standard form types. These include popup lightboxes and sticky ribbons. It also has opt-in widgets, and content lock.
Additionally, Thrive Leads has direct API integrations for several email marketing services.
Unfortunately, Thrive Leads doesn’t have a free version or trial. So, there’s no way to test out its features before committing.
- Design and deploy various opt-in forms with a drag-and-drop editor
- Advanced targeting options based on posts, categories, tags, and more
- A/B testing engine to compare different forms and find the best performers
- Actionable reporting and insights to track your opt-in form performance
- Integration with popular email marketing services and other tools
- Thrive Leads: $199/year
Bloom, by Elegant Themes, is an excellent WordPress email subscription plugin. Its strength lies in its simplicity and aesthetics.
Bloom has over 100 templates and 6 different display types to choose from. Some of these are pop-ups, fly-ins, and inline forms. This variety in form types makes it possible to match your site’s design and branding.
Bloom also integrates with popular email marketing services. These include Mailchimp, AWeber, ConvertKit, and more.
However, this WP email subscription plugin has a few drawbacks. It lacks some standard features like a visual drag-and-drop builder and exit-intent popups. Also, you can only download the plugin once you’ve signed up for an Elegant Themes membership.
- Unlimited opt-in forms that can be highly targeted
- Customizable design options
- Compatibility with many email marketing software
- Content locking and referral detection
- A/B testing and trigger options
- Membership: $89/year
- Lifetime Access: $249
MailPoet is a WordPress email subscription plugin that offers a simple, intuitive, and robust solution for creating and delivering beautiful emails to the right inboxes. It can handle your newsletters, email customization, and lots more.
It’s easy to use and has a drag-and-drop editor that lets you design beautiful emails in minutes. You can also segment your subscribers based on various criteria.
However, MailPoet has limited customization options for its opt-in forms and email templates.
- Create and add newsletter subscription forms to your site
- Create automated emails based on user actions or events
- Subscriber segmentation options based on behavior and interests
- Prebuilt, customizable email and subscription form templates
- Email delivery with MailPoet Sending Service
- Integration with Google Analytics
- Starter: Free with 5,000 emails/month
- Creator: Starting from $8/month
- Business: Starting from $10/month
- Agency: Starting from $30/month
WPForms is a popular and user-friendly WordPress email subscription plugin. It allows you to create and embed beautiful forms on your website. You can use it to collect email addresses, grow your email list, and send newsletters to your subscribers.
WPForms also has advanced features like conditional logic, file uploads, and payment integration.
However, WPForms isn’t a dedicated email marketing tool, as it only helps you capture leads. You need to integrate it with a third-party service like Omnisend to send automated emails and SMS messages.
- Drag and drop form builder
- Responsive and mobile-friendly forms
- Email marketing integration
- Form templates and layouts
- Smart conditional logic for high-performance forms
- Responsive, mobile-friendly forms
- Spam protection and CAPTCHA
- Payment integration with PayPal, Stripe, Square, and more
- Basic: $99/year
- Plus: $199/year
- Pro: $399/year
- Elite: $599/year
Other WordPress email subscription plugins
Looking for more options to add an email subscription feature to your WordPress site? Check out these other WordPress email subscription plugins:
- Icegram. Lets you create various types of opt-in forms, such as popups, sidebars, ribbons, and more. You can also customize the design, behavior, and targeting of your forms. Icegram has a free Starter plan. Pro costs $129/year, while Max costs $229/year.
- Subscribe2. Allows you to send email notifications to your subscribers when you publish a new post. You can also create categories and let your subscribers choose which ones they want to receive updates from. There’s both a Free and Premium version (starts from $5/month).
- SumoMe. Offers a suite of tools to grow your email list, such as welcome mats, scroll boxes, smart bars, and more. You can also integrate it with various email marketing services. SumoMe has a free version and a Pro version that costs $49/month.
- Email Subscription Popup. Enables the creation of simple and responsive popup forms that ask visitors to subscribe to your newsletter. You can also customize the appearance, content, and timing of your popup. Email Subscription Popup has both free and Pro versions starting at $17.13 (one-time payments).
Having the right WordPress email subscription plugin makes it easy for any site owner to grow their mailing list.
As we’ve covered, there are many great options to create opt-in forms, connect to top email services, and manage subscribers directly within WordPress.
Whether you need free basic plugins or advanced marketing features, solutions exist to fit your budget and needs.
Remember to focus on creating audience-centered opt-in experiences. With the power of email and SMS working together, you can keep subscribers engaged long-term.
No fluff, no spam, no corporate filler. Just a friendly letter, twice a month.