5 Tips for BigCommerce Email Marketing Beginners
In 2019, email marketing remains the most effective marketing channel. A promising ROI of $40 per $1 spent keeps marketers head over heels for this channel. Furthermore, it’s the most personal and flexible way you can approach your customers.
Sending emails is not rocket science, and you will definitely manage to integrate this marketing channel into your brand communication. However, there are things that you should know or do before spinning off your email marketing strategy and sending your first campaign.
1. Create a Professional Email Address
First of all, to start any of email marketing actions, you need a professional email address. It will serve for your communication with clients and email marketing purposes.
Using a free domain email address such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. is bad practice. Those email addresses are for personal use and not for commercial purposes. Yahoo and other internet service providers will automatically spoil your campaign results by marking your emails as spam.
It happens if you send bulk emails to addresses at their domain, from the same domain, under revised DMARC policies.
YourBusinessDomain@yahoo.com – improper email address
YourName@YourBusinessDomain.com – good email address
Instead of this, create an official company email address that communicates who you are. An official email address helps to be credible to both your subscribers and spam filters that may otherwise block you – and helps to build a good sending reputation for your domain.
How should you create an email?
Some time ago, BigCommerce used to provide email hosting. However, they changed their email settings, and starting from 2015, they recommend using a 3rd-party email service, such as Godaddy.com, Google Apps, etc.
I am also sharing the article about what should be considered when choosing a domain for email address: 7 terrible secrets revealed by your email address.
2. Find An Email Service Provider That Fits Your Needs
No matter, either your business is big or small or even very small, for email marketing purposes you need an email service provider. These are a few reasons why:
- Email deliverability. Even if you send your campaign from a professional email address, it doesn’t mean that all of your emails will reach the final destination. General email marketing practice shows that approximately 5%-10% of subscribers are not getting particular emails. An email service providers, due to a better online reputation, has a higher deliverability rate – 90-99%, for example, Omnisend delivers 98.25% of all emails. That is one of the reasons your campaign will be more successful.
- Email bounce rate. It is one of the most important metrics that you have to monitor after you’ve launched an email campaign. Without email service provider reports the proper bounce rate management is impossible. Read more about the bounce rate.
- Mobile readiness. 49% of all emails are opened on mobile devices (IBM, 2018), so a mobile-ready/ responsive design is crucial for your email marketing. Using responsive email templates that adapt to the recipients’ screen size will ensure that your recipients will see exactly what you want them to see. If they can’t read or view your content – they will probably delete it without reading.
- Detailed statistics about your campaign are one of the most significant benefits of an email marketing service. Opens and clicks are standard data for most email marketing software. Don’t rush your campaign and dig deeper to see what buttons your recipients click, what devices they use, etc. By monitoring these analytics, you will get valuable insights.
There are many apps in the BigCommerce email marketing marketplace. You should pay attention to the main focus of the email service – does it provide features necessary for ecommerce? For example:
- Does it provide a variety of signup forms and their performance tracking?
- Does it offer customer segmentation for your campaigns?
- Is it capable of sending automated emails based on your customer behavior?
- What channels does it offer to expand your communication?
- Finally, what’s the price for the offering?
At this point, Omnisend has a strong focus on email marketing for BigCommerce clients. This tool is tailored for small and medium-sized online businesses.
It means that all ecommerce statistics, like sales from the campaign, revenue received through marketing automation, etc., work right out of the box. No other settings or expensive business pricing plans are needed.
3. Launch Signup Forms on Your BigCommerce Site
Even if you are a beginner in email marketing, don’t waste your traffic. Set up the signup forms everywhere on your website. The sooner you will start building your contact list – the more customers or prospects will receive your emails. With BigCommerce apps you can easily to do this.
The most effective are the targeted landing pages, the popups with interactive elements, like a Wheel of Fortune. Also, the ones that appear on the exit and offer a discount for the first purchase are great for snatching up those who are about to leave.
Find the nine proven methods on how to build an email list from scratch for more information on building a killer email list.
4. Work Smart Not Hard With BigCommerce Automated Emails
Marketing automation is a powerful tool that helps to reach business goals faster and provide a better shopping experience for your customers. Data shows that automated emails generate 2-3 times higher open and click rates than bulk emails.
An automated email, also known as a drip campaign, is a set of marketing emails that will be sent to your customer automatically when triggered by his or her behavior. This kind of email can help you onboard, educate, upsell, promote, and so on.
You can employ marketing automation at a different scale. Mostly, it depends on the customer data you have.
Even if you are a beginner at email marketing, you should start sending these automated emails:
BigCommerce Welcome Series
74.4 % of customers expect a welcome email when they subscribe.
With this kind of email, you can expect a 15% click rate. It’s 3-4 times higher than any promotional campaign.
Welcome email workflow works even better if you send a series of three emails in a row. The main benefits are as follows:
- You tell your story and better introduce your brand
- You build your brand credibility
- You convert your subscribers into your customers and make sales.
Such email automation is one of the easiest ways to take your marketing tactics to the next level. Read more about how to build best welcome emails.
Abandoned Cart Emails
Abandoned carts are a huge challenge for ecommerce brands. Only 3 out of 10 shopping carts end up with successful checkout.
Automated abandoned cart email or series of them increase this number and help businesses address this common issue by reminding customers about their abandoned products.
See the example below:
This workflow is one of the most effective emails that you can send to your customers. The order rate aims 2.35%, which is almost ten times higher than the conversion rate of the promotional newsletter.
So this one should be one of the first emails you list in your ecommerce marketing automation for BigCommerce strategy.
Later, you may also consider sending customer reactivation, birthday, and other emails that are extremely effective in terms of customer engagement and sales.
5. Schedule Email Newsletters
Though marketing automation is slowly overtaking some key parts of email marketing strategy, newsletters retain their relevance and position. They should play an important role in your email communication.
This is a short check-list for your newsletter campaign. So before clicking the “Send” button, make sure:
- Your subject line, the preheader and the footer are free of typos and up to date.
- Your physical business address is included in the footer.
- The “unsubscribe” link is in place.
- The social icons link to the correct network.
- Your newsletter look mirrors your overall branding. (Find out more about design and email templates)
- The newsletter body copy is free of typos.
- All images, headlines, and CTA buttons are linked correctly.
- All the images have the fallback and ALT text.
- The sending time is relevant to your audience.
- The segment of recipients has correct rules and exclusions.
- Your test email looks good in your inbox on both desktop and mobile phone.
Also, you may check some tips on how to make your email more engaging.
- Create a professional email to get your business credible in front of your subscribers and spam filters.
- Choose an email service provider focused on ecommerce.
- Don’t postpone launching the signup forms. Start collecting emails immediately.
- Enable email marketing automation. The first on your list should be highly converting welcome series and abandoned cart emails.
- Send regular newsletter campaigns that are in line with your brand identity and provide value to your community.